My boyfriend's brother works for a production company in Los Angeles. In a few weeks, we are flying out to visit him and he's taking us to a movie premiere!
What should I wear??? I don't want to look like I am from out of town.
Summer movies generally fall into one of three categories: action, comedy, or family flick. Premieres (and the parties that follow) tend to fit the mood of the film. You'll still see flashbulbs and famous faces on the red carpet, but this probably won't be a formal event.
What you need is a party dress that matches the cinematic vibe.
For a Bawdy Comedy like Bad Teacher:
* Go for something fun and flirty. Think BCBG, Alice + Olivia, or Elizabeth and James. It's easy to imagine Cameron Diaz rocking a red mini-dress like this one by Cynthia Steffe.
* If you're trendy and fearless, skip the dress and wear a jumpsuit. I'm coveting this silk charmeuse number by Halston Heritage.
For a Popcorn Movie like Transformers: Dark of the Moon:
* Consider something short and chic, like this ruched jersey dress by Vivenne Westwood Anglomania.
* You can never go wrong with a body-conscious LBD. The Herve Leger bandage dress is a classic, but there's a far more affordable version waiting for you at bebe.
For a Family Film like Cars 2:
* Incorporate a summer trend like color-blocking, juicy hues or a fab floral print.
* This one-shoulder ruffle dress is a tangerine dream. (Bonus points for pairing it with gold sandals or the perfect nude shoe.)
* Ikat is everywhere right now. I absolutely love the colors in this maxi by Tibi.
Be sure to pack high heels, lip gloss, and something to wrap up in after the sun goes down. L.A. gets surprisingly chilly at night.
Whatever you choose, make sure it also works in your hometown. I know you want to dress like a local, but it's more important to be a super-fabulous version of you.
Got an etiquette question? Send it to email@example.com!