Wednesday, June 8, 2011

What to Wear to a Movie Premiere

Hello Annabel,

My boyfriend's brother works for a production company in Los Angeles. In a few weeks, we are flying out to visit him and he's taking us to a movie premiere!

What should I wear??? I don't want to look like I am from out of town.


Thanks!

EK

Hey EK,

Summer movies generally fall into one of three categories: action, comedy, or family flick. Premieres (and the parties that follow) tend to fit the mood of the film. You'll still see flashbulbs and famous faces on the red carpet, but this probably won't be a formal event.

What you need is a party dress that matches the cinematic vibe.

For a Bawdy Comedy like Bad Teacher:

* Go for something fun and flirty. Think BCBG, Alice + Olivia, or Elizabeth and James. It's easy to imagine Cameron Diaz rocking a red mini-dress like this one by Cynthia Steffe.


* If you're trendy and fearless, skip the dress and wear a jumpsuit. I'm coveting this silk charmeuse number by Halston Heritage.

For a Popcorn Movie like Transformers: Dark of the Moon:

* Consider something short and chic, like this ruched jersey dress by Vivenne Westwood Anglomania.


* You can never go wrong with a body-conscious LBD. The Herve Leger bandage dress is a classic, but there's a far more affordable version waiting for you at bebe.

For a Family Film like Cars 2:

* Incorporate a summer trend like color-blocking, juicy hues or a fab floral print.

* This one-shoulder ruffle dress is a tangerine dream. (Bonus points for pairing it with gold sandals or the perfect nude shoe.)

* Ikat is everywhere right now. I absolutely love the colors in this maxi by Tibi.


Be sure to pack high heels, lip gloss, and something to wrap up in after the sun goes down. L.A. gets surprisingly chilly at night.

Whatever you choose, make sure it also works in your hometown. I know you want to dress like a local, but it's more important to be a super-fabulous version of you.

Graciously yours,

ANNABEL MANNERS

Got an etiquette question? Send it to annabel@annabelmanners.com!

10 comments:

Mary A. said...

those dresses are sooooper dreamy! Sigh!

Legallyblondemel said...

Sigh. This is totes the sort of "problem", ahem, I dream of having.

Excellent dress choices, all of them, but my inner magpie is particularly craving that shiny Vivienne Westwood.

helen said...

Spot on advice, Annabel! EK, bring something warmer than you think you'll need--June gloom is upon us in full force here in La La Land...

Anonymous said...

Me and my whole family were extra's in the movie Dolphin Tale. We have been invited to the Premier on Sept 21 in Clearwater. This is a 2:00 event. What do I wear? What does my teenage sons wear? Oh, I am on the heavier side, don't know if this makes a difference of not.

Anonymous said...

I know where you can get a dress like that very similar
Look up my ass haha

Anonymous said...

This site was... how do you say it? Relevant!! Finally I've found something which helped me. Thanks a lot!

Also visit my blog - funny cats

Anonymous said...

For most recent news you have to pay a quick visit web and on
internet I found this web page as a best site
for latest updates.

Feel free to surf to my homepage: Free Minecraft

Anonymous said...

Nice post. I learn something totally new and challenging on websites I stumbleupon on a daily basis.
It's always useful to read content from other writers and use something from their web sites.

Check out my site; facebook password cracker

Anonymous said...

I'm curious to find out what blog platform you are using? I'm
having some small security issues with my latest blog and
I would like to find something more secure. Do you have any recommendations?



my website password finder

Anonymous said...

I like what you guys are up too. This type of clever work and exposure!
Keep up the very good works guys I've included you guys to blogroll.

My web blog; how make online money